Hope you enjoyed the fantastic weather during this Memorial Day! I spent the weekend outside planting in my garden, and Owen and Tatum helped me with the window boxes and flower pots! The kids helped take the deck furniture out of the shed and the outdoor fireplace got some good use over the weekend! The kids even found the old slip and slide in the shed and they set it up for some water fun during the warmer part of the day on Friday! It’s been a great long weekend!
A few updates and dates to be mindful of…
- The last day of school is June 11, 2020. Teachers are posting their last few projects in google classroom.
- We are hoping to host a 6th grade graduation during the month of August. Please stay tuned! We look forward to celebrating our 6th graders!
- If your child has not completed the online Fastbridge Assessment for Reading and Math, please have them do this task this week. Last week, all K-6 grade classroom teachers reached out with information about how to log on, etc. Please contact your teacher if you have further questions.
- Report Cards will be mailed on June 12, 2020. The third trimester, all standards not assessed during the last two marking periods will be marked as “Not Assessed” (NA) on a student’s report card. These NAs represent the period of school closure and teachers’ inability to assess student learning formally and equitably. The “Makes an Effort” for each subject and the “Skills that Support Learning” also cannot be assessed for the final trimester. Because NA is not an option for those sections, teachers will leave those “T3” columns blank. Teachers will write a narrative for each student and offer suggestions for summer.
- We are awaiting guidance from the Department of Education about summer school and reopening in the fall for school districts. Once I receive the guidance, I plan to organize a Reopening Task Force that will include faculty, School Committee members, and an open invitation for community members that are interested in supporting the school district during the reopening phase.
- Nurse Meghan Lagoy has decided to stay home with baby Abigail and will not be returning to Conwell in the fall. We will miss her very much and thank her for her time and dedication to the students. The district will begin the search for a school nurse. If you know anyone who may be interested, please have them contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, the job will be posted on School Spring last this week.
Finally, as we kick off the first weekend of summer I would like to share an article from NPR. I found the information to be incredibly helpful for me as a parent in thinking about my summer plans and how to navigate traditional summer activities during a pandemic. Hopefully you find some good take-aways too.
We appreciate your support and guidance during this unprecedented time and look forward to when we can all be together again!
Worthington School District
147 Huntington Road
Worthington, MA 01098