The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) has certainly been making daily headlines, and many people have questions or concerns. I want to reassure you that as of February 24th, Massachusetts currently has only one confirmed case (UMASS Boston student), and while some people are self-quarantined across the state, our risk as MA residents remains low at this time.
We are receiving frequent updates and recommendations from the Dept of Public Health, CDC, and Governor Baker. This includes clinical guidelines for our school nurse to follow.
R.H. Conwell will continue to educate students about good hygiene practices. Precautions that help prevent colds and the flu can also help protect against COVID-19. All students, staff, and volunteers should be reminded to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, if unable to wash, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your coughs or sneezes with a tissue or your sleeve (not with your hands)
- Stay away from people who are sick and stay home when you are sick
Our custodian will continue regular cleaning and disinfecting practices.
Here is a useful fact sheet in many languages to assist you in learning about this virus: https://www.mass.gov/guides/information-on-the-outbreak-of-2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19#-printable-fact-sheets-
Please do not hesitate to reach out to Nurse Meghan or me if we can address any specific questions, or concerns you may have.
A few friendly reminders, opportunities, needs and updates:
Dates to be mindful of:
- March 9: PTO Meeting
- March 13: Movie Night beginning at 6p.m.
- March 14: Preschool Open House from 9:30- 11:30 at R.H. Conwell Elementary School.
- March 19 @ 6:30: School Committee Meeting
- March 20: ½ day for PD
- March 23-28: BOOK FAIR COMES TO CONWELL! More details to come!
- March 27: Report Cards Go Home
- Last day of school~
- Preschool: June 9, 2020
- K – 6: June 16, 2020.