WORTHINGTON SCHOOL DISTRICT
Building and Grounds Keeper
The Worthington Building and Grounds Keeper is responsible for assuming total responsibility for the school building and grounds, maintaining the condition of security, cleanliness and operating excellence that provides full support of the educational program at all times.
Works under the supervision of Principal/Superintendent.
Evaluated yearly by the Principal/ Superintendent or designee.
School setting including indoor and outdoor facilities. The position may require going on the roof, around the grounds of Conwell, and traveling to different locations to pick up necessary tools and equipment for the maintenance of the buildings and grounds.
- Establish and administer schedules and written procedures for the regular, ongoing custodial care of the school facility.
- Select and maintain an appropriate inventory of custodial supplies and equipment.
- Establish summer cleaning programs and schedules.
- Performs janitorial work in assigned areas as well as throughout both the interior and exterior facilities. (e.g. picking up rubbish and debris, emptying and cleaning of all rubbish and recycling containers, disposing of trash or relocating of recycled materials as required, sweeping and washing hallways and classroom floors, dusting, cleaning and polishing furniture and shades, vacuuming carpets, striping wax and re-waxing floors, mopping (dry and wet), scrubbing, washing and disinfecting floors, sinks, drinking fountains, toilets, etc. (including bathrooms, locker rooms, kitchens, cafeterias), washing walls, windows and mirrors, dusting and cleaning light fixtures, including replacing light bulbs as needed;
- Assists in emergency situations as would be considered appropriate for a custodian;
- Checks for quantity of disposable supplies (e.g., toilet tissue, paper towels, hand soap, etc.) and replenishes such supplies as needed (i.e., to not run out);
- Moves furniture, equipment, etc., as needed, not only on a daily basis to perform cleaning duties and to assist with the daily operation of the schools, but to set up for special events and activities;
- Keeps cleaning equipment and custodial facilities clean, neat and in good repair and order and performs minor maintenance and repairs on equipment and to facilities;
- Performs yard work and minor landscaping chores as to maintain the school grounds in a safe, healthy and attractive condition;
- Shovels, snow blows, and sands walks, driveways, parking areas, and steps, as needed and required;
- Checks environmental conditions daily (for example; heat, ventilation, air-conditioning systems), as required to ensure comfortable building environment and appropriately reports problems.
- Work with the Principal/ Superintendent in establishing written guidelines for executing responsibility for minor in‑school repairs and emergency repairs.
- Has ability to comprehend and follow both verbal and written directions via email, telephone, and face-to -face related to custodial assignments and duties.
- Inspect the building continuously, and confer with the Principal/Superintendent on short- and long-range custodial needs.
- Plan, schedule and oversee all routine work assignments, seasonal projects and special maintenance or repairs, ensuring a high standard of safety, cleanliness and efficiency.
- Organize and update the building systems manual with operating instructions, prints and schematic diagrams, warranties, parts lists, maintenance and repair contractors, suppliers and vendors for heating, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and related equipment.
- Maintain a complete inventory of equipment, supplies and materials sufficient to support the full functioning and operation of all the building systems and equipment.
- Consult with and advise architects, contractors, project supervisors, and building trade officials on matters related to renovation, construction and bids.
- Serve as the primary respondent for all facilities-related concerns and to carry out all supervisory and custodial functions that may be necessary to accomplish the above responsibilities.
- Has the ability to work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions and climates to perform custodial duties and responsibilities such as; several hours per day standing, walking, sitting, lifting, bending, reaching and twisting.
- As needed, will report to work, if available, in emergency and unusual circumstances;
- Is friendly and helpful to all visitors on daily basis;
- Raises and lowers the school and Town U.S. Flag and State Flag if available as required on a daily basis.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Works independently with general guidance from Principal/Superintendent.
- Maintains cooperative relationships with students and adults.
- Manages time to accomplish multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school or vocational school diploma.
- Supervisory and work experience in a comparable position.
- Possession of a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.
- Ability to interact positively with students, staff and the public.
- Understanding of heating, electrical, plumbing and ventilation systems.
- Skill in the use of technology in monitoring and operating building systems.
- Working knowledge of OSHA, Massachusetts Department of Labor and Industries Occupational Safety standards, and Massachusetts “Right to Know” law relative to safe storage and handling of hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of and commitment to school safety and emergency preparedness and management.
- Aptitude for successful performance of the tasks listed above.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as may be appropriate and acceptable.
District CORI Check required before employment begins.
Federal Fingerprint Check required before employment begins.
- Good general health.
- Alert, physically assertive and mobile at all times.
- Lift, push, or pull 50 pounds as required;
- Mobility to regularly walk, stand, stoop, reach, bend and occasionally run.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Twelve-month position. Benefits in accordance with Town of Worthington.
Salary as established by the Principal/Superintendent
The Worthington School District/R.H. Conwell School does not discriminate in any way prohibited by Massachusetts or Federal statutes against on account of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical handicap, sexual orientation, or gender identity.